OPEN RECORDS REQUESTS
NOTICE OF OPEN RECORDS POLICY (KRS 61.870 to 61.884)
- The public is notified that all requests for inspection of public records of the Spencer County Fiscal Court must be submitted to the Official Records Custodian:
12 W. Main Street
P.O. Box 397
Taylorsville, KY 40071
CLICK HERE to complete an Open Records Request form
2023 Open Records Open Meetings Guide
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., excluding holidays.
The sheriff's office has designated Sharon Thomas as the records custodian, who is
responsible for maintaining and providing access to the records related to the sheriff. If you have
any requests or inquiries regarding the sheriff's records, please contact her at email@example.com.
- The request must be in writing and include the following information:
(a) name, mailing address, and telephone number of the individual requesting to inspect the records,
and (b) the specific record(s) the requestor wishes to inspect or to request copies, and (c) whether
the records are requested for commercial or noncommercial use. If requested for commercial use, a
certified statement stating the commercial purpose for which the records will be used. Available
public records are open for inspection by any resident of the Commonwealth. A listing of who is
considered a resident is located below. A standard form is available to aid citizens in making
their request and is also available at www.spencercountyky.gov.
- Upon receipt of a written request, the Spencer County Fiscal Court will
respond within five (5) working days. If the records requested are open for public disclosure, the
Office will either provide copies of the requested records, or set a time when a requestor may
inspect the requested records. If the set time is not convenient for the requestor, the Office will
attempt to coordinate a new inspection time convenient to all parties, but it may exceed five (5)
working days. If the requested record is not open for public disclosure the records custodian will
notify the requestor and provide the statutory exemption(s) under which the request falls.
- For public records requested in standard format for noncommercial purposes, the records custodian
may charge 10 cents per page for photocopied material. If the requested information is in
electronic format the cost of the media and any mechanical processing may be charged. Additionally,
the custodian may charge postage fees. The Office will not charge for staff time required to
reproduce records for noncommercial use. Any fees shall be paid before copies are made.
- For public records requested for commercial purposes, the custodian may require the requestor to
enter into a contract which will include the fees charged by the Office. The Office will charge
staff time required to produce copies of the records. Any fees shall be paid before copies are
- Please note that under KRS 67.878(1)(h), all prosecutorial files held by a County Attorney are
exempt from disclosure. Those records which are not public are specified in federal and state law or
rulings of the Attorney General or Courts, and the Office will not make those exempted records
available for public inspection.
KRS 67.870(1)(10) defines a “Resident of the Commonwealth” as the following:
- An individual residing in Kentucky;
- A domestic business entity with a location in Kentucky;
- A foreign business entity registered with the Secretary of State;
- An individual that is employed and works at a location or locations within Kentucky;
- An individual or business entity that owns real property within Kentucky;
- An individual or business entity that has been authorized to act on behalf of an individual or business entity defined in sections a) through e) above;
- A news-gathering organization as defined in KRS 189.635(8)(b)(1)(a)-(e).
- Records should be requested pursuant to the Spencer County Open Records
Policy and Procedures from the designated department head/Records Custodian. The Spencer County Open Records Policy and Procedures are available at www.spencercountyky.gov.